Thursday, November 22, 2007

blue period ....

well ... when one is without the net, a lot of knitting can be accomplished. i found myself knitting on swallowtail almost exclusively. it was a fun knit. right when a certain chart was about to become boring, i got to move onto another chart.

i was a wee bit concerned that i would not have enough yarn ... perhaps that was the impetus to knit faster. but i did have plenty, ... with about a fist's size worth leftover.


i opted to skip the nupps. because the yarn (brooks farm duet) was rather fuzzy (hello! wool & mohair!)(duh!) i really wanted to throw in another texture ... smooth and shiny ... beads !


though adding beads is slooooooowwwwww, i like seeing that sparkle in the sea of fuzz.


beads were also added to a couple other elements of the design, including the points.
one of my favorite parts of the process was the binding off. it wasn't so much the part about being (mostly) finished, but the bind off was unique and made a pretty chained edge.


this was a fast knit, very enjoyable, and i think there may be another one in my near future ....

specs:
brooks farm duet (1 hank, and not all of it!)
size 6 denise needles
size 8/0 beads
approx 54" x 25"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so preeeetttttyyyyy! :D
Perfect size too...another shawl to add to the knit-me!-knit-me-NOW list :P

peaknits said...

How beautiful! I like your touches - using the beads instead of nupps - very pretty.

aija said...

So pretty! I love your bead additions.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! That would go great with my gray hair! your BBF

Stacey said...

Very pretty - love the sparkle of the beads!

turtlegirl76 said...

LOVE the beads in place of the nupps. Very pretty.

Kelly said...

The beads add a cool hidden charm to the shawl. I'm too scared to try adding beads to my knitting but your interpretation of this shawl is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful Swallowtail!! One of my very favorite shawls and yours is even more special with the wonderful beadwork!!

Lolly said...

Okay - SERIOUSLY gorgeous! those beads are the most beautiful little touch!