Saturday, August 14, 2010

the socks

and, i also realized i haven't posted my SOCKS. sigh ....

i finished my papaver socks (ravelry link) about 4 days ago. this is the second pair of this pattern i've knitted within the last month. the first pair was a gift, and then i decided i need a pair for myself. and now, i have them, and of course it's way to hot to wear socks. they will wait until the end of september or october.

my papaver

this yarn is crystal palace panda silk. it was sent to me awhile back. i had knitted a pair of socks with their maizy yarn, but had apparently had purchased a bad batch of that particular dyelot.

i contacted crystal palace, and they asked me to send them my socks. i did. they analyzed the yarn, and reported back that the dyelot was indeed "bad". in their fabulous customer service, they sent my socks back, along with enough yarn for 2 pairs of socks, and some sock needles. this pair is the last in the yarn they sent to me. and, they're fabulous! (yarn and crystal palace customer service) !!!

since then, i've been knitting on a pair of socks for my mom. she bought some yarn from knitting up a storm, when we were at north myrtle beach last week.

she picked out poems wisdom sock. the color progression is great, and the color is fabulous, but the knitting is a chore. the yarn is a single, and a bit "hairy", and i keep splitting stitches with my needles. perhaps i should change needles, but it's a bit too late for that. i'm almost finished with the pair. here's the first sock:

wisdom

i am on the mate, about to start the heelflap. so, they'll be done soon enough. the thing is, when do i give them to her? do i save them for cooler weather, or ... christmas ?! she already knows about them, and i'll "show" them to her next weekend. sigh. it seems kinda silly to give them in a season inwhich it's too hot to wear socks.

No comments: