anyhow ... i got this wild hair yesterday to dye some yarn to make a pair of sock from this issue.
i have several hanks of knitpick's bare fingering in the superwash merino/nylon blend. i also have various cake icing dyes. i was shooting for a nice icy blue. clearly, i didn't get it. i was too impatient to read about the proper procedure and just winged it. one thing i did do was not stir it around too much so it would get that nice kettle dyed look.
i've actually gotten past the heel now ... and it fits !
by the way, this is cookie a.'s design poppy socks. it's knit toe up. the picture in the magazine is over saturated and it's hard to see the details, but it does have a short row heel, and it has a wee gusset on the underside of the foot before the short rows begin, and then decreases afterwards back to the original number. as far as i can tell so far, there aren't any errors in the pattern.
regarding the yarn, i will use up what i have in stash, but i won't be buying it again. it's crazy soft, but it's getting fuzzy even as it's knitted. though it is superwash, i don't trust it. these will be handwash socks for certain.