these questions are from 'secret pal 6', which, i am not participating in, but i just wanted to answer the questions!
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? i AM a yarn snob, though, i will knit with acrylique when the project dictates. rowan is my FAVORITE yarn ... maybe it's the presentation, all those yummy books with pretty european models.
2. Do you spin? Crochet? i tried spinning once, but it didn't "take". now, crochet -- yes i do! i've not embraced crochet for garment making, but do love it for afghans and trims, ... oh, and snowflakes. oh, and scarves. and wraps (really, mini-afghans).
3. Do you have any allergies? yes. i'm allergic to dogs & cats, trees, chamomile (sp?), and lots of other things. i'm very sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke.
4. How long have you been knitting? goodness! you think i'd be a master knitter by now ... 16 years!
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Amazon
6. What's your favorite scent? fresh cut grass.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? no, i'm savory.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? i also machine knit and sew, sometimes string beads, or make shrinky dinks, and would like to get around to my marble magnets.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? music ... hmmm ... i like lots of kinds of music, but mostly music that either raises the roof with a great rhythm, or something soothing. i'm not so sure about the capabilities of my computer, but i know my computer and cd player like mixed cd's, ... my "stereo" is an 18 yr. old 'boom box'.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? i love green, and funky shades of yellow, oh, and pink and red, and purples. browns are great too, as are blues and oranges. my color mood changes on a daily basis. but, i do lean towards cooler colors for wearing. oooh, lipstick colors!
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? i live solo w/o any pets. i hope to pick up (win) a goldfish when the fair comes to town.
12. What are your life dreams? serenity and balance.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? ROWAN! and, wool (in general).
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? crap scarf knitter yarns --- fur, eyelash, component yarns. (maybe this falls under 'synthetics'?)
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? i'm obsessed over finishing overdue projects ... but making lots of socks at the moment, and really want to get underway with a fall cardigan.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? shawls & wraps ... because they always fit, and i don't think of them as granny, but hot and fashionable.
17. What are you knitting right now? a swatch for the next pair of socks, a rowan jilly cardigan, a phoebe capelet, a christmas stocking, a .....
18. What do you think about ponchos? ugh. ick.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? i like straights for small projects and circs for larger projects, though, i will use whatever i have on hand.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? yes. again, i will use what i have, and if i have multiple sets, i will go for whichever has the nicest point or whichever the yarn prefers.
21. Are you a sock knitter? yes.
22. How did you learn to knit? Self taught
23. How old is your oldest UFO? i don't know. i'm sure i have some that are as old as i've been knitting.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? i love the alien from a toy story and i love baby anteaters.
25. What is your favorite holiday? is 'december' a holiday?
26. Is there anything that you collect? no. i did. but, i have too much stuff. i collect things i can use, not things that just sit around collecting dust.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? i subscribe to interweave knits and rebecca. when there's more cash flow, i've subscribed to metalsmith and piecework. i use to subscribe to threads before i got tired if it only being about sewing, i've considered vogue knitting, and let my knitters subscription die a proper death. i NEED to subscribe to rowan, but have been procrastinating. (you know, they send you some free 'gift' yarn for subscribing!)(FREE YARN!)
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on? YES! check out my amazon wish list. i'd really love a copy of _knitwear in fashion_ by sandy black. it's not available on amazon, but i think i saw it somewhere on the rowan site, or somewhere over there.
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another?? i'd love to get the 'pick up sticks' patterns for felted flowers.