Monday, February 19, 2007

i'm being a good girl !


yeah! one of my orphans is now a complete pair! i knitted on these yesterday ... and worked one of the toes twice.

i think that's the bane of my sock knitting ... the toes .... you'd think after all the socks i've knitted, i would think after all the socks i've knitted, that i would know what i'm doing. but, when it comes to fit, if my sock is even a tad too short, i don't like how it feels on my little flintstone toes.

that's what happened with these. i finished the first sock, and tried it on, and determined that i needed 3 more rounds of stockinette before the toe shaping. whaaa !

and i don't want to do toe up, because then that would be even more ripping to do to take out that heel because of how the sock is pulling on my toes.

see the red sticking out the top? sock blockers. sock blockers from the loopy ewe.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute socks, and nice to see the orphan not so alone ;)

sgeddes said...

Glad to see the orphan got its mate! I've found a sock formula that fits my feet and so far I haven't tried anything new for all those reasons you state.

sweetfigs said...

socks! a pair! good for you!

scarlet said...

I'm going to have to break with the pack and not compliment you on your socks and instead say: YOU'RE SUCH A DORK! But one of the main points of h-k socks is The Perfect Fit, so if you have to reknit a toe or two... so what? You have perfect socks! Oh, I guess I did just compliment you. Ooops!

Anonymous said...

And not a mention of the Pinehurst trip?!?!?!?
Sorry I missed knitting yesterday the socks look great!

Anonymous said...

a pair! yay! a good lookin pair too ; )
have you tried toe up before?

gray la gran said...

thank you :)
i have tried toe up, but i'd rather rip out toe shaping vs. heel shaping or gusset & heel shaping.
i just need to get a better grip on when/where to begin my toe decreases.

Chrissy said...

Congrats on the de-orphaning! They are a beautiful pair.

Brenda in Toronto said...

i'm just about to start the toe section of my very first sock... i wonder if this one will be an orphan...

Peggy said...

Ooooh...They are very nice, I like the subtle colors and they look very soft too!

jennifersm said...

I have been having the same problem with the toe on my socks. I don't understand why, but I just can't get it exactly right, and then I have to rip. Glad I'm not the only one out there!