Sunday, April 09, 2006

haphazard hooker

big mama

i like to call this little lady "big mama". she is a size Q hook. she is big and fat! she is patiently waiting to be used ....
actually, she may be used sometime soon. i have this urge to crochet a rug! a nice circular single crochet rug. i got the idea from a friend, and lots of crochet books i've been paging through. and last week, at mary jo's, i spotted some hanks of fabric/yarn. these were batik fabrics cut on the bias into 1/2" strips about 40 yds. long. i can do this! i have a quilting book that shows how to take a piece of fabric and sew and cut it into bias strips. i used those same instructions when i made the bias binding of my quilt. so, i'm thinking, on my next trip down to mary jo's, i'm going to purchase fabrics for my rug.

love my glitter

now, these sparkley hooks came from the hobby lobby. i was on my way home to visit with mom, and stopped at the hobby lobby in concord. all knitting thingers were 50% off ... including the glitter crochet hooks! these are labeled by yarn bee. i didn't have much luck finding them online though. it's almost like they don't exist. i'm a sucker for glitter in my hooks. these hooks range in sizes K through P. i don't usually use such large sizes, but for $3.50 who cares?

sock #2 on the way!

this is just to prove that i still knit! i ripped out my sock mate because it had an unsightly blip of gold at the top of the ribbing. i had lots of free time between my class sessions yesterday, and made some good progress on my pinky stripes sock. i figured that when i finish the heel and resume knitting in the round, i will break the yarn to keep the instep in pattern. i've never done this before, and never really cared enough before, but this time i want to make sure that my stipes are of equal width.

butterfly had a nice day out in the cool sunny day, flittering around running errands. i think she's a keeper

2 comments:

scarlet said...

Ooh we ALMOST stopped at the Concord Hobby Lobby on the way down to Charlotte, but the rain had made us late and I couldn't justify any further delay, even if for sparkly hooks!

Steph said...

Ooooh, yarn bee is only at Hobby Lobby I think. They make some decent stuff.