in the end, i was quite pleased with this project. towards the end, i was doubtful. i did laundry after work on saturday, which included washing the blankie. the blankie emerged from the dryer even softer and drapey, but still rather shapeless.
i took the blankie home and spread it on the bed and smoothed things out with the steamer. but, it was still feeling a little "droopy". it was lacking any structure on the top and bottom edges. a little crochet took care of that problem ... i did a row of single crochet across the top and bottom edges, and that seemed to give it the support it needed.
in retrospect, i think i could had knitted it a bit more firm. the pattern called for 8mm needles (the yarn was double stranded), gauge was not crucial, but it seemed to loosen up after washing & drying. i probably could had gotten away with 6.5 or 7mm needles.
at the shower, the blanket received oooooh's and aaaaaah's. yay!
pattern: teddy bear baby blanket from cpy.
yarn: caron simply soft heather in denim heather, 4 sk.